Sunday 9 September 2012

To Be Continued...

Last day today, but my flight isn't until 23:45, which is about 12 hours away. My cousin, Tim, is going to give me a lift to the airport, but not before we watch the mighty Sharks take on some rubbish team from Canberra.
GO SHARKS!
 But that is in the future, the present is currently me with a hangover after the past saw three Scottish folks move into my room saying 'We're going to get a beer, would you like to join us?' To which I replied 'Yes' and the rest is a mix of watching the All Blacks beat Argentina in the rugby, beer, French people on tables, singing, more beer, Scottish people on tables, joking and now my camera is slightly damaged but has got a mix of funny and embarrassing photographs that I won't post here because that would be a silly idea.
I think this picture sums up the evening quite well on its own.
All fun and games aside I am leaving today, as I mentioned in the first sentence, and I'm all packed and ready to fly home (via Singapore) as Singapore airlines carries me over borders and oceans in the cheapest seat available.
I come for the service but I stay for the 1950's approach to hiring female staff.
And as those lovely, lovely ladies walk up and down the aisles in their fitted dresses I will be thinking of the past year, the sheer number of people I have met and who have in some way influenced my life, all the things I have learned and all the things I didn't learn
Like how I learned to drink excessive amounts on a budget and how I didn't learn it would hurt in the morning.
I also learned that travelling is a lot of fun, whether you go to broaden your horizons or just to have fun in a far off place, you should definitely travel. It doesn't have to be 10,000 miles away, you can drive for a couple of hours and get lost somewhere pretty but now is the time to travel before it all becomes too expensive and before you're too old. I know I'm not going to stop travelling, even if it is just visiting a city I have never been to or going to Scotland to try some traditional Scottish fare in Scotland
"And a dram of your finest Irn-Bru"
Now it is traditional to end these sorts of things with a song, a song that doesn't muck about, a song that can capture an emotion or tell a story. But which song would cater to the idea of flying home on an plane? John Denver's 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' is about leaving, not returning, of course this would all be a lot easier if one of Britain's finest bands made a song that fits, with lyrics that were specifically about flying home from far away and seeing runway lights as the vapour trails align, adding some guitar solos with the sweet tones of Bruce Dickinson's voice...
Oh, they did.
Time to put the 'Great' back into Britain! Fire up the engines, I'M COMING HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment